1. Theodora Lestrange is not the typical Victorian heroine. How does she differ from other women of her time?
2. Which of Theodora’s two suitors-Charles Beecroft or Count Andrei-is a better match for her? Why?
3. Why does Theodora remain at the castle when events take a dark and frightening turn? Would you?
4. Many of the characters have interests which are reflective of their personalities. Discuss how Cosmina’s work with medicinal, Florian’s music, and the count’s passion for astronomy extend their characters.
5. Are the strange events at the castle supernatural or are there logical explanations for Theodora’s experiences?
6. What elements of classic Gothic literature did you find in this novel?